Saturday, July 13, 2013

Confessions of a Sore Loser

I am competitive. That is oh so true. In fact I am overly competitive that failure is never a viable option for me. I take losses seriously and for this reason, I am a sore loser.

Perfection is my art and with perfection ideally comes, or at least in my mind, a hundred percent guarantee of winning. The world, however, has its many ways of proving me wrong. Thinking that I am certainly going to succeed in everything I do has boosted my pride to unreachable heights. Because of this too much pride in me, I find it so hard to accept defeats. In being a sore loser, I realized that perfection may well be a good thing, but it brings about all the negative things when you allow it to consume you.

I remember during my junior year, I always hate to lose that every time I do, I always find a reason so that I would not be the one blamed for losing. Last Student Council elections, I and my team put in our best efforts and did everything we could to win, but to my disappointment, we lost. Every time such things happen, I always get mad with my team members because they let me down. And so, I always put the blame on them every time we lose, but what I don’t see is I possibly could have made more mistakes than all of their mistakes combined together.

I sometimes  always think highly of myself and always see myself on the winning side. It is what I will call optimism to the next level. Maybe not optimism, maybe it’s too much confidence, or maybe too much of both. I know I have the skills and that I can always succeed, but this confidence and optimsm is pulling me down to failures. I will always get overly complacent and let others get ahead of me. I am like a runner who runs first the whole race, but at the last few strides suddenly slow down knowing that they’re all too far behind. Every time I slow down, they always do get ahead of me and I end up finishing third or second. Knowing that I have the skills to win, losing is just so wrong and ironic, just like how a predator gets eaten by its prey.
        
And as the years have passed and to satisfy the societal demands of good conduct, I have learned to slowly bury it deeper and deeper within me, locked up in the deepest pits of Tartarus in me hoping that it never will come out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment